How to Start a Troop
Thinking of starting a troop? We’ll take out the guesswork. Follow these 5 steps and you’ll be on your way to providing opportunities that girls want and experiences that change lives!
Become a Volunteer:
- Take the Girl Scouting 101 (45 min.)
and Becoming a Volunteer in GSNorCal (30 min.)
- Create an account in our system: GirlScoutsNorCal.org/eBiz (don't register quite yet - just create an account!)
- Get started RIGHT away on the volunteer screening process.
- Call or email your Community Development Director
To look up your CDD, choose your county below:
- Go to your Welcome Session and sign your position description agreement (30 min.) One adult per troop must attend, however co-leaders or co-op troop leaders are also welcome.
- After your Welcome Session, you'll have your troop number. Register as a Girl Scout adult member and request an 01 position code.
- Connect with your service unit. Forward your email notification of your volunteer screening approval and your assigned troop number to your local Service Unit Registrar and your CDD.
3. Form Your Troop/Group
- Complete learning modules:
Forming Your Troop/Group
Registering Your Troop/Group (paper tutorial)
Meeting With Parents/Guardians
- Find girls and adults:
Check with your service unit to see if you can take girls from the waiting list, advertise through school newsletters, send flyers home, talk to parents, or other suggestions from your CDD.
- Host a parent meeting or find another way for the group to communicate and make decisions on how the troop/group will operate.
- Collect registration forms and money for interested girls and adults (How to Register Your Troop)
- Recruit your volunteer team, including registrar, drivers, product sales manager and treasurer (who should also be a signer on the bank account).
- Make plans for your first meeting with girls .
4. Open Your Bank Account:
- Complete learning module:
- Open a Bank Account following instructions on the Bank Account Packet. Your bank account must have a minimum of two signers (can add more later). Signers must be registered and screened.
5. Prepare to Meet With Girls:
- Complete learning modules:
Girl Scout Program
Meeting With Girls (under construction - not yet available)
Three Processes, One Powerful Program (optional)
- Register new girls and adults online to your troop or use the offline process outlined in How to Register Your New Troop (which you'll receive at your Welcome Session).
Beyond the Basics
Once you’ve finished the basics and completed your first few meetings, you’ll probably want to branch out into other fun and exciting activities; Want to take your brownies on their first overnight camping trip or learn how to advise a group of teenagers? Additional adult learning courses may be needed for certain activities. We also offer some optional classes for enriching your Girl Scout activities.